Solar panels that you can drive, park, and walk on. They melt snow and cut greenhouse gases by 75-percent. That is the crazy idea of an American couple.
A solar roadway is a road surface that generates electricity by collecting solar power with photovoltaic. The idea is to replace current petroleum-based asphalt roads, parking lots, and driveways with solar road panels that collect energy.
The project would be a tremendous investment. However it will pay itself over its lifespan.
- Heating elements will provide snow/ice free roads
- LEDs will customized road lines and signage
- With induction plating embedded inside these roads, electric cars can be recharged while in motion on top of these roads.
- The energy produced can be used by homes and businesses alongside the solar roadways.
- The panels can detect obstacles (animals, children or fallen trees) and warn approaching drivers
The glass surface has been tested for traction and impact resistance by engineering laboratories and successfully passed all the tests.
Theoretically, if the entire United States Interstate Highway system were surfaced with Solar Roadways panels, it could produce more than three times the amount of electricity currently used nationwide.
Solar Roadways has started a crowd funding campaign and has already received 410.000 dollars in les than 48h. There are 9 days left to reach the million and start building the first solar parking lot.